Job Title: Technical Compliance Manager
Job Category: Senior Management
Reports to: Head of Legal and Regulatory Affairs
The FIA seeks a Technical Compliance Manager with a minimum of 5 years’ legal and regulatory experience within the financial services industry, to join the team.
The role in a nutshell:
The role requires understanding of all current legislation and regulation relating to Financial Services and in particular, how this affects the intermediated business sector. Functions include monitoring, research, communication and tracking the impact of the regulatory universe and drafts and examines proposed new laws and regulations on behalf of FIA members who operate in healthcare, employee benefits, short term, financial planning and investments.
Engagement with members to understand challenges being faced with regard to new and existing legislation so that we can provide feedback to regulators in order to challenge current and proposed legislation in order to ensure fair outcomes for the adviser market. To advise, guide and support members of the FIA on all matters related to understanding and implementing applicable legislative compliance matters.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Act as secretary to the Excos and related committees and sub-committees and assume responsibility for the execution of decisions in conjunction with the Chairperson of the committee.
- Respond to member queries on technical and regulatory issues
- Represent the FIA with relevant regulatory bodies, legislators, industry associations and service providers.
Qualifications & experience required:
- Minimum LLB (Advantageous)
- BComm (Advantageous)
- Certificate in Compliance/Risk Management (Advantageous)
- Project management (Advantageous)
- Some qualification(s) in insurance/management/law
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience as a legal adviser/compliance officer in financial services Experience in drafting of legal agreements and providing legal advice is advantageous
- Wide experience in the insurance sector with a good understanding of the role and function of the intermediary and related issues
- Good stakeholder engagement skills and ability to build good working relationships
- Experience required for the drafting of draft policies and procedures in response to new legislation
- Ability to interpret legislation and make recommendations taking into account the intermediaries’ businesses
- Exercises discretion and maintains confidentiality
- High attention to reliability, detail and accuracy
- Complies with procedures and policies and supports the overall strategy of the organisation
- Ability to use initiative and operate independently
- Competent in reading and interpreting various legal/regulatory documents
- Good written and verbal English
- Working command of Afrikaans
- Good minute-taking skills
- Proficient typing skills
- Proficient in communicating/conveying information
- Ability to extract relevant information from various sources including the internet
- Ability to do presentations and/or conduct workshops for members
- Ability to deliver against aggressive deadlines
- Ability to adapt quickly to changes in the environment
- Strong ability to collaborate and work across teams/business units without formal authority
- The incumbent must be willing and able to travel.
- Proficient on MS Office – MS Word, Power Point, Outlook
How to Apply – Email email@example.com a copy of your cv or give us a call on 012 665 0085 if you want to find out more. Applications close 19 July 2019